Sunday, September 2, 2007

Reviewing the BTN

Apparently in a marketing push, the Big Televen has decided to offer its television network free to television viewers as a sort of preview. This afternoon, I found that I now have the BTN available to me on my dish satellite system. I was able to watch the replay of the Michigan-Appalachian State game, which was nice.
I do believe the BTN lucked out somewhat, b/c the first football game they televised is the biggest upset in college football in the last twenty years, if not ever.
I do like being able to watch the game replays of all of the Big Televen games from the previous weekend, which will be the allure of the network to many college football junkies.
Looking forward, I think the SEC and the Big 12, should they start their own networks, will experience the same type of subscriber attitude, people subscribing simply to be able to watch game replays that don't happen on regular cable.
The one group I would think who would be hurt by this would be the school video labs which offer season video subscriptions, sending game films via DVD or VHS format to diehard fans. With a ready source for game replays, and the ability to Tivo the games they want to keep for later, the need for those video subscriptions would disappear.

No comments: